Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Some things about placements


First of all, if you have the opportunity to undertake a placement/internship year in your studies as a graphic designer, or any kind of designer for that matter, DO IT!

Why? WHY? I guess you wont know for sure until you’ve done it. But im gonna try and nail a few (of which there are many) of the good points down for you.

+ A diploma probably won't get you a job on its own. Work experience will.

+ You will learn WAY MORE than you ever will as a student

+ You meet lots of nice and more importantly experienced people. The phrase its not what you know, its who you know’ has never become more true whilst on this internship

+ You get to feel dead smug whilst your other shittier peers are back at university

+ Getting paid – you can be -500 pounds rather than -1500

+ Having the opportunity to work on cool shit

+ Getting work published in actual magazines and such, not just your make belief work

I will elaborate on each of these points throughout the course of the blog, which is coming along like a speeding bullet I might add.

The image above is the entrance door to my first internship at a company called 'Wellcreative'. I don't know many offices with a big orange rotating door, but thanks to my internship, now I know at least one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I'd struggle to even open that door!